Attention:

If you have time to read only one posting, click the following link to read the entry for the last day of our journey.


http://ontheroad6.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-59-th-trip-so-far-805-pm-saturday.html






Leben 2001-2014

Leben, 2001-2014



Leben was put down today at 1:00 p.m.

On Monday, August 4, 2014, I discovered a large mass on Leben's head.  After two visits to the vet hospital, the doctors diagnosed what he had as a tumor.  I took him home on Wednesday and his condition deteriorated rapidly over the next two days.  By Thursday night, he had lost his entire pleasant life.  Today, the vet came to our home and put him down as I held him in my arms.  Nature tried many times to take this dog down and failed, but finally found an insidious way to do it.  Never did I imagine that a dog could be so loyal and obedient as Leben was.  He was the consummate good dog.

On Monday, I shall take his body to the pet crematory myself in West Virginia and stay by his side until I can take his ashes him.  He always wanted to be with me, and I shall honor that even in his death.

I miss that magnificent dog so much already.  I miss the team of Leben and Erde.

ED
August 8, 2014


Note: The photo of Leben was taken in August 2011 in Pinset Arm, Labrador, on our second cross-continent road-camping

P.S. After Leben died, I wrote an essay for the  Washington Post about him, which they published August 24, 2014.  Here it is below:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. My dog died 3 months ago his name is Banjo and after the pet cremation seattle we decided to move to the other unit because there are so many memories in our old house.