Attention:

If you have time to read only one posting, click the following link to read the entry for the last day of our journey.


http://ontheroad6.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-59-th-trip-so-far-805-pm-saturday.html






African Queen

Starting two weeks before each trip, I enter a dark period: no TV except the Russian satellite service I get, only one daily newspaper (vs. the four I read daily), cancel Netflix, no phone calls except those related to the trip, no more entertainment or socializing, etc.  To all intents and purposes, the trip starts now.  On Thursday, I will pull out of storage the hundreds of  items I will take on the trip and then, next Monday or so, set up about 14 stations around my home and start packing, one item at a time.  Anticipating this, last night I  allowed myself one last TV movie (the only thing I watch on TV) and, as luck would have it, The African Queen was playing.  How ironic, I thought, because that kind of is like what these road trips are all about (without the romance, unless you want to call my relationship with my dogs a romance of sorts, which it is). Watch the movie and you will get some sense of life on one of these trips. Maybe I'll christen (or whatever a more secular word is) the Defender "The Alaskan King" for this trip.


No comments: