If you have time to read only one posting, click the following link to read the entry for the last day of our journey.

Day 19, Monday, September 2, Kinaskin Provincial Park BC to Boya Provincial Park BC, 5071 miles for far (for part 2 of our journey).

As usual, got off from Kinaskan later than I hoped.  This happens all the time when I am in a spectacular camp, as is Kinaskan.  Too bad it's 4800 miles from DC.

my goal was to make it to or beyond Whitehorse Yukon to stay on schedule, but to stop at Boya  Provincial Park, 180 miles to the north and check it out.  If I got there after 4 and the park is as spectacular as everyone stats it is and I can get the best site in the place, I will stay there and make up the deficit the next day.

No bears on the road today.  I did see a stray dog, though, many, many miles from where anyone lived.  It ran into the forest when it herd the Defender coming so here was nothing i could do.

Driving the first half of the road today was like the old ALCAN: narrow road, virtually no shoulders, steep drop offs from the raised road, at time literally bordering cliffs with no guard rails, twists and turns all over, hills, virtually no clear cutting beyond the shoulders, etc.  You have to drive down the center of the road not only to avoid the bears who dart  across the road but to avoid going over a cliff, but you have to keep your eyes ahead of you or oncoming traffic.  Fortunately, there was virtually no traffic either way.  Thank God for that as for the first time on this trip I felt tired driving and was straying a little bit too much.  The second part of the drive was better on a wider road with a new gravel-lik surface and wider shoulders and wider clear cutting.

My inner self told me to bypass Boya when we got to it, but because I was tired I drove in.  It really is spectacular and the best site was available, although it was only 3:50, ten minutes before my conditional time.  After lingering at site 5 for 20, going over the maps and what ifs, all three conditions having been met, I forked over the $16 fee and pitched my tent.

Erde continues to enjoy herself, all at my expense, of course.  But I abide by her habits after I remind myself that the trip is or them as much as it is for me, maybe more.  Leben too is learning how to exploit the trip, now that he realizes that he is not being short changed on anything.

I continue to nurse my wound I picked up near Calgary.  I will call my doctor tomorrow to see if my tetnas shot is current.  If not, I will seek medical advice in Fairbanks when we arrive there. I will definitely have a 2-inch scar to remind me to stay away from RV camps, but I hope that's all.

Tomorrow we head to Whitehorse, where I will decide what route to take to Alaska.  If we get there early, I'll head to Dawson City of gold rush fame.  Otherwise, we'll go on to Fairbanks.

 There still has been no time to relax or ponder the bigger questions in life.  What thinking I get in is all stream of consciousness, flight of ideas while I am driving, listening to some of the 500 oldies I brought along, watching some of the most spectacular scenery speed by and wondering where we'll be spending the night.

After Leben and I head into the tent at night, Erde stays outside for hours, tethered to a long leash attached to my leg.  Then, when i am ready to call it a night, I literally have to drag or carry  her into the tent at night.  I'd let her stay out there all night, but I don't trust either Erde or the bears.


1- Morning sunrise outside our tent at Kinaskan Provincial Park
2- Leben and Erde sharing a nap before a hard days's drive
3- Why not just stay home and watch nature videos (and this one is small)
4- this is why they enjoy these trips
5- Our site at spectacular Boya Provincial Park (Erde does have a certain glow to her)
6- Please, sir, can I have some more (of your meal)?

No comments: