Attention:

If you have time to read only one posting, click the following link to read the entry for the last day of our journey.


http://ontheroad6.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-59-th-trip-so-far-805-pm-saturday.html






August 14 - Almost made it

Well, we almost made it. I needed just four more hours for the desk work, despite working all day:  Upgrades to iPad and cell phone communications packages; travel alert with my credit cards; two different ferry reservations from Alaska; campground reservations for the first three nights, etc. 

As I feared, the provincial campgrounds I want to stay in (because I know them) are now all full for the weekend, after I was able to get the last sites in two of them. Unfortunately, they are the worst sites in the camps, which will be a comedown for us since we had the best sites in them last year. There was no way I could have made reservations long ago because the sites are almost $60 a night and the payments are not refundable if you change or cancel them. I am sure I am going to find this to be the case every weekend until we get to the Yukon and Alaska , so I just might be spending some nights in some RV camps just off the highway. No big deal, as our goal is to get to Alaska.

If I had finished up all the deskwork last night, if my sleep was what it turned out to be (poor), I would not have gotten on the road today, at least not for a 370 mile drive to New York. My first rule is to leave when I am 100% ready and fully rested. My hope is to finish up the remaining work this morning and take ti easy  for the remainder of the day so that I can leave early tomorrow. On all five of my previous trips, I have not been able to leave before 11:00 a.m. because loading the Defender takes so long. I hope to beat that tomorrow by three hours. Problem is, then I’ll have to sit in traffic around Baltimore. But that could very well be the last traffic I sit in for two months.


Back to work.

No comments: