Attention:

If you have time to read only one posting, click the following link to read the entry for the last day of our journey.


http://ontheroad6.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-59-th-trip-so-far-805-pm-saturday.html






August 8th- Erde's test results; packing continues

Erde's oncologist called today and told me that the results of the tests she ran on Erde's newly discovered thyroid lump all came back negative, as I suspected (hoped, really) it would. She prescribed a drug that slows down cancer growth just in case, although she said the tumor Erde has is slow-growing.  (That means it was missed during Erde's physical two months before.)  She also reiterated that delaying the treatment by two months would not change around the risks, treatment options or results.  If this were my case and I knew I had two  years to live (Erde is 12, but shepherds can live to 14 and beyond), and was offered the option of starting treatment now or taking a last trip to Alaska with little risk and then start treatment, I know what I would opt for.  So I will continue to pack and make my decision Monday morning.

If it's not one thing, it's another.  My home central air conditioning went out on me yesterday.  The repair company came today and told me the compressor fan is not working.  It is hot here now, but with the fans going, the dogs can stay cool.

Today I packed the dogs' and my "stuff" boxes, the map "room." Tonight I will pull all the other camping gear from storage.  Most of all, I will sit and wait for the next unwanted obstacle to appear.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How is your dog doing and have you made any decisions? Did you actually meet with other vets in the area?

We are going through the same thing right now, but with a 3 1/2 year old lab. Trying to determine the right course of action and the best vet to do it. We are in the same area as you are. Any advice is appreciated.

Blogger said...

Give me a call. 202-342-0498. I am thrilled with the results. She had a maxillectomy on Oct 18th. I have recommendations.

ED

Unknown said...

Thanks again for your time Ed! We've got an appointment with Dr Brehm on Tuesday next week to discuss surgery. I'll be posting an update after that.