Attention:

If you have time to read only one posting, click the following link to read the entry for the last day of our journey.


http://ontheroad6.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-59-th-trip-so-far-805-pm-saturday.html






Day 15, Thursday, august 30th, Johnson Canyon Camp in Banff National Park, Alberta

It rained like heck last night, but my new tent kept everything and its occupants bone dry.   (More on the tent, below.)  I'm in the tent now listening to the distant thunder and a light rain adding additional instruments to Rachmoninov's piano concerto #2, sipping my bottle of Merlot (187 ml), writing this blog posting, and wondering where I will bed down for the night since Leben and Erde are out solid diagonally across the middle of this small tent.  I have no idea why they are so tired, unless having a good time (all at my expense) qualifies as tiring, hard work.

I was thrilled I  decided to stay put for an extra day here at Johnson Canyon camp in Banff.  I was able to take my time at Lake Louise with the dogs instead being rushed to move on. It's our only stop along the way where we did not spend just one day.  The dogs were the hit of the crowd at Lake Louise, both of them.  (Lightning and thunder overhead now.). They are now on at least 200 cameras, man from China.  What a wonderful place Lake Louise is.  You have all seen the photos and you would recognize the place.  I have to stop here every time I drive through.  This was my third time, and I am sure I will be back.  It is one of the most beautiful places on earth as far asi am concerned.  You almost get the sense that even nature could not have designed this.

Spent some time in Lake Louise Village restocking food supplies for the final two legs to Alaska.  For the first time, my gas tab was over $100.  More than $6.00 a gallon here. Ouch.  

Returned to camp and in the process of backing up the Defender, I drove over a stump and ripped off the left front mud-flap, needed for the dirt roads I have to drive.  I spent 30 minutes with the tools and things I had to repair it, at least I hope.  Other chores for the night included repairing my air compressor, jerry-rigging a new wick in my  citronella candle, organizing my food supplies, and refilling the pill boxes (mine is critical because that's how I know what day it is, except on the first day after refilling), in addition to the multitudinous daily tasks on the road with two big dogs.

This new tent is quite remarkable.  Smaller than the other one, but that will be better for the cold weather we are about to hit.  It has vestibules on both sides, which can be deployed as if they were in the tent itself, and then sealed off a night.  It is a little difficult getting Leben inside, but we manage.  I will not describe how I do it for fear someone will turn me in to the BSPCA, Banff Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.  Leben tolerates it since be knows there will be a treat at the end of all of these treatable offenses.  

Tomorrow I have to make up for the extra day we spent here to stay on schedule.  We will drive 3 hours to Jasper, walk around the town a bit for our break, then head northwest to beyond Prince George in British Columbia, five hours away.  Our problem is going to be finding a campsite.  This is a big camping weekend for Canadians. I'll figure out where we will stay once I get two hours away from when I want to call it quits for the day.  Right now, I am going to call it quits for today.  Unfortunately, I had no time to read, and so I am still on  page 11 of the first book.  The number of pages read is a good measure of the free time I have had on this trip.

Below photos:
The three of us at Lake Louise. (If it does not like like me in he photo, it's because I have lost 20 pounds preparing or and taking this trip, with four weeks to go.)

The damage to the mud flap

The repair job to the mud flap.

The dogs in the tent just now, check to jowl, lying diagonally across the mattresses leaving no room for me.

















No comments: